about: post grad lifestyle blogger who cannot commit to a blog if her life depended on it

past blogs: food - travel

social media: facebook - instagram

July 20, 2014

Barely Cooking: Dinner by Trader Joe's

Trust me when I say that I am no cook. I dabbled in it a bit during college but mostly out of necessity; therefore, I never got the hang of flavors or techniques or whatnot. Once in a blue moon, I do get a burst of inspiration and whip up a little something something.

Barely Cooking will follow my culinary adventures (or lack thereof) by sharing my easy peazy lemon squeazy "recipes" for the lazy postgrad. Let's start off with a dinner I prepared with the help of my little brats cousins and Trader Joe's. Note: Everything was baked in the oven except the pasta.





Menu:
Bacon wrapped asparagus
Literally asparagus wrapped in bacon....how can you go wrong?! I used turkey bacon to reduce some guilt. Asparagus was coated in olive oil and black pepper beforehand.

Pesto pasta
Your favorite pasta shape preferably of the whole wheat variety (I used a veggie flavored one this time)+a jar of basil pesto(unlike red sauce, requires no heating up)+shaved parmesan

Roasted vegetables
This is my all time favorite dish-simple yet nutritious. You can use any medley of veggies you like and combination of seasoning/herbs. The key is definitely a good extra virgin olive oil. Today I had broccoli, bell peppers, and carrots with the simple addition of black pepper and a random veggie seasoning found in the cupboard.

Salmon stuffed with cous cous and dill
Pre-made by TJ, bake in oven until skin flakes when touched by a utensil. I give this product ~4/5 stars depending on how accustomed you are to the taste of dill.

For dessert we tried TJ's frozen macarons which comes in an assortment of flavors from pistachio to apricot. It was pretty dang good! A light but noticeable flavor and moderate chewiness deserving of 4/5 stars.

Cost: ~$35 with plenty of pesto pasta and roasted veggies leftover
Servings: 3 asian girls

I didn't follow any set measurement or cooking times. Sometimes you just have to trust your instincts and have fun with it!

xoxo,
A

No comments:

Post a Comment